Its so crazy to finally be in this country - its been a long time coming. There has been SO MUCH that has gone on the past 2.5 weeks that I struggle with what to share. I could go the route of how up and down, excited and down trodden we've been in such a short time.
I could share about the innumerable ways God has blessed us and set us up so well to be here. I could talk about how our family is adjusting, or about how the kids' blond hair (at least brown hair and yellow hair as Emma describes herself) and blue eyes are the source of great attention. There's the sensory overload we experience each day we set foot outside our apartment and the occasional cockroach in the bathroom proves we don't even have to leave home to be reminded we're not in Kansas anymore. Air Quality Index numbers are a daily discussion much like the Vikings are back home. Will I put my kids' at risk by taking them outside today? This is a common thought that runs through our minds. How IKEA runs the operation they do would be another great blog topic. Based on the 3 times I've been there in this city, I would think Sweden could single handedly reduce the US of A's debt problem with an act of goodwill. P.S: our city's star is out tonight. Other noteworthy items include the fact that 9/11 came and went this year without anyone even mentioning it. It wasn't written in newspapers (at least not ones I have the ability to read), broadcast on the news (at least no news stations I am able to understand) or posted on the internet. The NFL season has started? Who knew? I am completely sheltered from that and by the way my fantasy football team performed in week 1, I am clearly out of the American sports loop, just as I am with the political scene.
But the thing most weighty on my heart today is something the Lord has been teaching me. Its genesis occurred a few days ago as I was playing basketball with a few friends we met. In between games, one of my teammates took advantage of the downtime to ask one of his Asian teammates questions about his spiritual beliefs. When it was their turn to play, they would get up, play their game and return to the same spot on the sideline to continue talking about Jesus. I found myself at first jealous and envious of my teammate because I had tried to do the same with a guy on my team only to not even get past "What is your name?" because of the language barrier. The Lord convicted me of this and so I began to pray for him instead. Afterwards I found myself in the comparison game, wondering why God would allow my friend to have that conversation and not me. I wondered if I would be better off back in the States where the language barrier only comes in the form of generational lingo. Can God use me here? Is it worth it to be here if I can't see several people come to faith in Jesus? The Lord answered that question later that day when I read my daily devotional that I have been working through. Here is the excerpt from "Morning and Evening" by Charles H. Spurgeon:
"Impatient spirits may fret and fume, because they are not called to the highest places in the ministry; but reader be it thine to rejoice that Jesus calleth whom He wills. IF HE SHALL LEAVE ME TO BE A DOORKEEPER IN HIS HOUSE, I WILL CHEERFULLY BLESS HIM FOR HIS GRACE IN PERMITTING ME TO DO ANYTHING IN HIS SERVICE."
The capitalized portion is what really struck me. God has blessed so richly, namely with Himself. The question then becomes, Can I be satisfied with that which God calls me to, even if it is not the job which seems to me as great significance in His Kingdom? If God is calling me to be the doorkeeper, will I cheerfully and with thanksgiving embrace that job with all my being for His glory? Or, will I begrudgingly press back with a selfish and complaining heart, desiring my agenda to be carried out rather than His?
Today my girls and I were learning about Mexico. I shared with them that both Aaron and I used to study Spanish. We both spent years in both high school and college learning Spanish. Now it's difficult to remember anything beyond "Hola" and a few colors and numbers. Mandarin has used up most of the language area of our brains. One of the more challenging aspects of living as a foreigner in another country is learning the language. Language is not just grammar and vocabulary; a language exists in a culture, it has a context. There is a way of calling someone an idiot here that is just a series of numbers, a series of numbers that you would surely use when bargaining. If you don't remember to use a different name for the numeral "2" in the number, you will offend the shopkeeper. I can know the vocabulary but if I don't understand the context then I miscommunicate. We have a store of language bloopers, so many that it's hard to re...
Comments
Post a Comment