Skip to main content

Parenting: the greatest refiner

Before becoming a parent, I never once thought about how the Lord might use it to refine me and teach me about Himself. Here's a glimpse of that on a couple levels.

Last week on Easter Sunday, I was eagerly anticipating celebrating the resurrection of Jesus with friends and family. We had all kinds of plans arranged and I was personally even looking forward to getting time to myself during naps to think on arguably (but not THAT arguable) the greatest event in history. But things quickly fell apart and early on I began to realize that day might not turn out exactly how I had planned it in my head. For me, unmet expectations are the only ingredient needed to make a hearty dose of realized sin. At one point, I had completely lost it and was literally pinning Evie down in her bed during nap, which she adamantly refused to partake in. I stormed out of her room screaming at her and smashed my fist into the couch on the way out. I had no grace. Patience was long gone. All that remained was frustration and anger. Why can't things just go my way?!?!

I wonder after days like that how bad I've already emotionally damaged my kids. I see the looks in their eyes during those times: defeat, hurt, longing for grace. But that day, there was none. So that night, after getting them into their beds, Emma asked me to tell her a story. I wanted out, to be by myself, to escape my duties as a parent. But after that day, I felt like I needed to give her something positive. So I made up a story of a dad who had 3 kids: Emily, Evelyn and Jay, or as Emma corrected me, "Jaysmalen." This dad loved his kids so much, more than the world. But there was a problem: the dad was sick. He had a disease that made him angry and bitter and frustrated with his kids. So he went to doctor after doctor looking for a remedy but none could be found. Not until one doctor referred him to another Doctor. The dad went to see Him and the Doctor examines him, finds the problem and prescribes him some medicine called Hobbly Skobbly (alluding to the Holy Spirit and how we must be constantly relying on Him for our strength to live the Christian life- not a water tight analogy, but some accuracy). The dad must take it every 2 minutes and, as long as he does, he won't rage at his kids. But there are times when he forgets and he does rage and become frustrated and angry. I ended the story and by this time Evie was asleep. So, I looked at Emma and got real close to her and asked, "Em, is there anything you want to talk about or anything you want to say?" I expected her to lay into me a little bit and tell me how I had dropped her like a vase full of beautiful flowers which shatters to hundreds of pieces when it hits the ground. I expected a dictation of the laundry list of things I had done to hurt her or Evie that day. I was ready to apologize, to fess up to my sin and wicked heart. But Em looked up at me from her pillow, only her head poking out of the mess of blankets and says simply, "Dad, I love you."

At that moment I lost it. I couldn't hold back tears and I realized that this was not only Emma's heart toward me in that moment, but God used her to show me HIS heart for me in that moment. No matter how bad and dark and wicked my heart can be, these are His words to me. He is using parenting to show me the depravity of my heart (how in the world can I treat my kids the way I do sometimes?!?!) while at the same time reminding me that He loves me and He proved that with the Cross. I am more sinful than I can ever imagine, but at the same time more loved than I could ever dream.

Comments

  1. Isn't it just so good of God to answer your desire (to reflect on the cross and the resurrection) in a crazy way? This story tells me more about God's love than I think I would have learned otherwise.....had you had that perfect, quiet moment during naptime. It actually helps me think about MY own sin and how God still loves me when I am ugly. He is so wise! Thank you for your honesty, Aaron! What a perfect Easter reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your amazing testimony of God's love that I too am reminded of every day (usually at night as well). Praying for you all and missing your fellowship but knowing that God has us all where he is using us most to expand his kingdom.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life in Asia: Language Bloopers

Today my girls and I were learning about Mexico.  I shared with them that both Aaron and I used to study Spanish.  We both spent years in both high school and college learning Spanish.  Now it's difficult to remember anything beyond "Hola" and a few colors and numbers.  Mandarin has used up most of the language area of our brains.  One of the more challenging aspects of living as a foreigner in another country is learning the language.  Language is not just grammar and vocabulary; a language exists in a culture, it has a context.  There is a way of calling someone an idiot here that is just a series of numbers, a series of numbers that you would surely use when bargaining.  If you don't remember to use a different name for the numeral "2" in the number, you will offend the shopkeeper.  I can know the vocabulary but if I don't understand the context then I miscommunicate.  We have a store of language bloopers, so many that it's hard to re...

God Speaks

Last week our team hosted a Vision Trip consisting of about 12 businessmen and women from the States. It was a great, but tiring week which culminated in a 35 person banquet including children. Its a tradition to hear vision trippers thoughts on their experiences from that week and to encourage them to join with us in our mission here. Sara was asked to give her thoughts, from a mom's perspective, regarding what her transition has been like and how she views this crazy ministry God has called us to. I (Aaron) don't think I've ever been more proud of her. I wish I could've seen the looks on others' faces in the room, but like theirs, mine was fixated on her as she spoke. Here it is, straight from Sara's mouth. "When I was asked to share why it's worth it to move a family with three small children across the world to a crowded city in a foreign country I was hesitant. The truth is that in the midst of this difficult season of transition there have been ...

Life in Asia: Driving

I remember riding in a friend's car just a couple days after arriving in this city.  I thought, "I could never drive here."  It appeared to me that there were no rules- cars were all over the road, crossing lanes, making turns and U turns, not to mention the pedestrians, bikes and carts that seemed to come out of nowhere.  At that point, I also had no idea where I was most of the time and when I looked at a map of the city, the maze of streets, small roads and alleys was overwhelming.  When I had lived here  just after graduating from college I had carried a paper map in my bag, but I mostly relied on the people I was with and taxi drivers to know where I was, I didn't really care how I got there as long as I arrived at my destination.  Driving was different though, you had to know where you were, where you wanted to go and which roads to take to get there.  I still rely heavily on that blinking blue dot on my google maps even when I'm walking somewh...